2013年11月18日 星期一

The first hail in my life

Today I was at the station Aqua Loop as an usher (6WB). Actually, it didn't go smoothly at the beginning. I forget a lot of details, like weighing the riders' weight and height as well as reminding them of taking off chains, bracelets, watches and sunglasses... and Riley reminded me a lot. The worse part was that I didn't understand Riley's English. Why is my listening comprehension so bad? Therefore, I didn't know that two spare boards on the top of Aqua Loop were left for riders; hence two riders don't need to carry boards upstairs. I hope I can get used to it quickly and assist other colleagues in stead of needing their helps.

Some parts made me happy is that three guests remembered my name and said hello to me even after I changed my station to Whirl Pool (12A). Two of them are Caucasian and the other is Asian. The Asian guy is obvious the second or the third generation of the immigration. If ABC stands for the American Born Chinese, then here in Aussie, it stands for the Australian Born Chinese. He acts absolutely like ABC. I envy him because he can speak fluent English and make good friends here. I think his friends are Asian friendly or Asian culture lovers; consequently, they remember my name and my appearance though only one Asian lifeguard in the water park. I hate my poor English, my weird accent and my odd expression (the formation of sentences) that makes me always revealed myself as an alien. It's impossible for me to act and behave like the Caucasian, but I can make efforts and do more to achieve it; the question is that I have to be culturally colonized -- the assimilation. I am blocked in the cultural theories; I meant the theories provides some perspectives and ways of thinking, but what if it's my personal and private experience I have to face and choose?

Before we can call it is a day, the summer storm suddenly came to its power. I revere the power of the nature! The heavy shower, lightening, thunders and the hail. It's the first time I viewed the hail personally! It's like while stones, but actually it's snow in the solid body. Amazingly! After the hail, the temperature suddenly dropped down and became pretty chilly.


沒有留言: